Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Sad, Sad Day...

But it's time, ya know?

Today I peeled about 30 pages of old theatre reviews out of a magnetic scrapbook and tried to salvage them as best I could. Please, don't ever put anything thats important to you into a magnetic scrapbook!

And that was just the beginning...

Please... to all you future Camp Directors! Never, ever give your swimming champs ribbons made out of felt, embellished with macaroni alphabet letters. Just don't!

Hopefully I'll be able to salvage some of the other stuff that was in that scrapbook...

Anyway, the time comes eventually, for everyone I guess, when you figure you just don't really need to keep ALL THAT STUFF anymore. I've given most of it about 40 years... I looked at it all once again just now... and realized that this one moment of a memory was probably the reason I've been saving it for all these years. And it was worth it I guess because it was one sweet afternoon of memories.

Some of my memories even got an outdoors photoshoot!


My Lambie...

His Profile...


I can't even remember when Bunny wasn't in my life...


This is really, really hard!


And it gets worse!!!

But after reading a dozen or so entries that said pretty much "Didn't do anything today" or "Danny said he had to pretend not to be my boyfriend or his friend would tell his mom" I figured I could probably live out the rest of my life without it... along with the cheap pink nail polish.

But the very saddest of all was this one.

Mom made for me when I was 3 and she sat on my bed for probably 10 years. But since then she's been sitting in a box in my basement for nearly half a century... and somehow cardboard boxes don't bring out the best in maintaining a healthy and youthful glow and they also promote major mildew....

*makes note to self to keep the really important things in my life on my bed from now on...*

But I guess if I was finally able to toss out these (ruby, custom-made) shoes from the "Hollywood/Ukraine" tour... you can pretty much believe I could probably toss out just about anything...



(Thank goodness I accidentally left my bag of Chorus Line shoes on the subway after my last performance so at least I don't have to deal with THAT...)

All this... even after seeing "Toy Story 3" and sobbing!...

But for sure all my kid's stuff stays! Or at least until they come back someday to claim it...

3 comments:

  1. That was very sweet mom :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me feel sad that you threw those things away! I started to feel sentimental for them! And your comment made me smile. I have seen your mom before, and you are right, the have the exact hairdo and similar noses. And I would love to see a picture of you when you were little and see how you compare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you toss all that stuff or "good-will" it? I'm sure there's someone out there who would LOVE those ruby slippers.

    ReplyDelete