Monday, January 13, 2014

Breaking Bad Habits...

Ok, I've really got to STOP this because I am now on my third time through.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't just watched the first episode of the first season less than two months ago. Yes I was a very late bloomer.

But then I bloomed quickly.

I think the first time I ever heard about Breaking Bad was some time around the middle of September, when suddenly everybody and their dog was talking about it on FaceBook, anticipating the series finale, and talking about it ad nauseum. But still, I wasn't drawn in.

It wasn't until I was visiting my daughter in Idaho for Thanksgiving when I just happened to notice this image in the "Recently Watched" section of her Netflix streamed programs.

Me: I've heard alot about that show.
Daughter: You mean you've never watched it?
Me: Nope, guess I just never had the time.
Daughter: Well just sit back and relax...

So I watched the first episode...

... and then I watched another, and another.

The next morning set my alarm for crack of dawn in order to sneak downstairs to watch episodes four, five and six. That first morning, my three year old granddaughter scooted down the stairs still rubbing her eyes, snuggled up with me and after a couple of seconds asked...

"Wha's he doing???.."

...!

SO from then on I only managed to sneak in maybe one episode in the morning... or at least as many as I could before the pitter patter of little feet appeared on the stairs.

By the time I left Idaho I was feeling like a complete junkie. In fact I don't think I'd felt so out of control since those early days of Clay Aiken!

The Minneapolis airport now has complimentary iPads at every seat in the waiting areas... and though I've never used an iPad I still managed enough savviness to log into my Netflix account and change my DVD preferences from ONE DVD AT A TIME to THREE... and to also load up my cue with the remaining 42 episodes!

That was 6 weeks ago...

Since then I have memorized the titles and can pretty much ramble off the main synopses of each and every episode. (And yes, that IS the correct plural form of synopsis.)

And I can ace these Ultimate Fan Game Trivia Quizes like a champ!

I've even taken to reading Comic Books!

Did I mention I'm on my third journey???

Though with all seriousness, after this, I know it'll finally be time to move on. :(

But what an absolutely amazing and brilliant show and what a fun experience it's been! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to Vince Gilligan, Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mitte, Jonathan Banks, Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito, Jesse Plemons, Steven Michael Quezada, Christopher Cousins and Laura Fraser! (I know what you're thinking... if I were THAT much of a devoted fan I would have taken their names and capitalized and highlighted all of the elements of the Periodic Table!)

Sorry...

I just love all these people so much!

Coincidentally, this photo was taken after last year's Emmy Awards by an old A Chorus Line peer who is now a celebrity photographer for CBS. Kismet?

And this year they did it again at the Golden Globes!

For the last time. :(

And so anyway... Goodbye Breaking Bad!

Here's to you!

It's been AN ABSOLUTE TRIP and I will surely miss you!

It's just so hard to say goodbye.

But I guess if you can do it, I can do it...

*sigh*

3 comments:

  1. hahaha, I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh. But its just hilarious how much you LOVE this show! I don't understand, you're right. I've never watched it. But reading this and talking to Daryn makes me scared to even start because I definitely do not need something to be obsessed with like that right now. Anyway, I'm so glad you've found another "true love" :) Maybe if you buy them on DVD and bring them to Vegas we can spend our free time watching it! You'd love to watch it with a "first timer" right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping we won't have that much free time in Vegas!... but maybe when we get back to your house! . :) Yes, I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! John and I started watching it just before we moved last summer. We got Season 1 done before the movers came and packed us...and the Season 2 DVD into cartons. Cartons that are still in a warehouse in Baku. I had no idea it would be this long before we would see them again. I bought the rest of the Seasons while we were home and have been patiently waiting to get the Season 2 DVD back! I've been really tempted just to get it off iTunes. I LOVED It!! I can't believe those two DVDs sat on my bookshelf for over 2 years unopened!

    ReplyDelete