Friday, January 28, 2011

Lightyears...



I'll never forget that day, staring at the college catalog and wondering how in the heck I'd ever manage to ever be able get that degree. It's gonna take lightyears!!!... I distinctly remember thinking that.

But I registered anyway...

That was in 2001... and my first class landed the day after 9/11. I truly didn't want to go, I just wanted to stay home and watch the news, but I was already registered and had already paid and everything. It was French class... And so I went and that night we pretty much put the curriculum aside and just talked... And I'll never forget my French professor... she was just awesome. One of the best I've ever had. So awesome, in fact, that if it hadn't been for her I'm really not sure I would have ever had the motivation to continue.

So I kept going... But I'm not gonna lie, it has been really, really tough.

But now, ten years later, I'm on my last class! My Science/Lab (The Science of Light) which, by no coincidence, I saved until the very, very end thinking that it would possibly give me some sort of momentum to... get through it! And it worked!

So here I am... So close to my goal and at the same time realizing how much I've learned in the meantime, because really...

The light-year is a measure of distance, not time. It is the total distance that a beam of light, moving in a straight line, travels in one year. To obtain an idea of the size of a light-year, take the circumference of the earth (24,900 miles), lay it out in a straight line, multiply the length of the line by 7.5 (the corresponding distance is one light-second), then place 31.6 million similar lines end to end. The resulting distance is almost 6 trillion (6,000,000,000,000) miles!

So I guess I was wrong because I haven't put anything close to that much mileage on my car in doing this...

Some fun stuff I'm learning...








Ugh...

Even though, surprisingly... some of it makes sense! lol!

In particular...





And it's been really interesting learning how to calculate my driving speed in the actual lightspeed scheme of things...



Not...

2 comments:

  1. haha. I am so proud of you mom! I can't wait for you to finish. I don't think i've ever stuck to anything for 10 years, but you know that better than anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Daryn's right, but I don't know that I've stuck to any one thing for that long either. We're really proud of you. And now you can finally put your house on the market and start looking out here...right?

    ReplyDelete