Monday, April 4, 2011

Shades of Gray...

So, this "Light and Optics" class this semester has been a real stretch for me. I'm not very science minded at all and, though I'm fairly good at memorizing facts for tests, to be honest?... there hasn't really been a whole lot I've learned this semester that I feel I will probably take into "real life" and be able to use it in any way effectively.

But tonight I learned something that moved me somehow to immediately come home and first create a PowerPoint of it... and THEN figure out how to turn it into a movie! So obviously the deeper, yet subtle, concept of it impressed me a bit...

But anyway I'll stop yacking now and just let you watch...



Anyway, if you "got" the point I was pointing at, then cool! But if not, well I still hope it was a really fun illusion for you...

And if you still don't believe your eyes then here's a clickable image for you to print out. After placing a sheet of white paper over it, cut out the applicable squares and you'll be able to prove to yourself that what you see at first glance is not always, necessarily, what's really there...

2 comments:

  1. So I'm squinting like crazy trying to use what I learned in college about seeing value by squinting, and it still looked like B was light until all the rest of it disappeared. That is crazy. Cool video.

    ReplyDelete