Sunday, September 12, 2010

Drawing One Oh! One...

It's no coincidence that I didn't have any artistic talent prior to my discovering PhotoShop. Because I didn't. But then I got hooked on it and got this wild and crazy dream about going for a degree in Graphic Design. (no less!)

I've held off as long as I could on this ONE required class... But since I'm finally down to my last three I figured it was finally about time to go for it. But you see... I've never even been able to draw stick figures adequately! In my opinion, PhotoShop is a much tamer beast than the pencil!

So I'm now into my third week... and trust me, so far I've drawn a lot of junk! The first week was absolutely laughable! But at least now I've been given a few tools with which to make it all make sense.

A ruler... for one.

I think I've done about 15 pages like this so far. I've drawn, let's see...things from my kitchen drawer, my junk drawer, my yard, antiques, my bathroom, my garage, my lamps, my furniture, my basement, my guilty pleasures...pretty much everything and shoot, well, I'm still sure I've forgotten some. But they're all on the grading table right now except for this one, which I did this afternoon... of things in my refrigerator... which thankfully managed to meet the minimum number of 6 required items...



It's really strange how I'm now looking at everything I see...wondering how I can draw it. The whole concept of drawing is bizarre though. It's amazing how we don't ever really see things the way they really are. You really have to LOOK! So, hopefully, if I learn nothing else from this class, that will be an important concept that I can improve on.

Here's my first ever "Still Life"...


And another one... using "the ruler"...


I'm trying really, really hard to be positive and hopeful... even though I only got a C+...

3 comments:

  1. These are great, Jannet! I hope I can do half as well after 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom these are great! And they're some of your first tries. Really they look good. Aaron was looking at them with me and says he really likes the style that you drew the fridge objects in. Just so you know. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job mom! I'm proud of you :) Maybe by the time Rachel comes you will be amazing enough to draw a portrait of her. :)

    I think I have that book that Dad's dad wrote up in my room somewhere...the one that teaches you how to draw. That might be helpful? maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete